POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : question about pov3.5 splines : Re: question about pov3.5 splines Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:23:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: question about pov3.5 splines
From: Rune
Date: 1 Oct 2001 14:54:09
Message: <3bb8bbd1@news.povray.org>
"sacrofts" wrote:
> "Rune" wrote:
> > Many of the spline features in MegaPov, such as constant
> > speed splines, have not been implemented in POV-Ray 3.5.
>
> That's a shame, as it was a very useful feature in megapov.

I agree.

> Any reasons why it was removed?

As I recall it it was something like this:

The splines in MegaPov contained many bugs and the constant speed splines
were only available in the spline syntax that was not supported in POV-Ray
3.5. The splines in POV-Ray 3.5 are more or less rewritten from scratch.
They were actually planned not to be included at all, but at a very late
stage it was decided to include them anyway. There was not time to get all
the extra features in though, and there are still obvious bugs in the
implementation.

The spline feature really is far from complete, at least according to one
Team members who didn't speak officially for the team, but it was decided to
include it anyway, though as an experimental feature.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)