POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mesh2 Boning suggestion : Re: Mesh2 Boning suggestion Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh2 Boning suggestion
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 1 Oct 2001 11:11:19
Message: <3bb88797@news.povray.org>

> 50 MB for just one second of animation seems like a pretty inefficient
> solution to me!

Absolutely. But nice enough in the present case (and I hope impressive if I
manage to finish it one day).

> I've already made a walk and a running cycle for a biped, but not yet for
> quadruped. To make it usable by other people is something I'm working hard
> on.

My point exactly. What I'm suggesting is that this sort of large-scale
proposal would be much more convincing and "saleable" to other people if
you'd do first some sort of feasability study of what you propose and
demonstrate it on a smaller scale. After all, there's an infinity of
features that one would like to find into POV-Ray and I could post one of
them every day, with every detail of how I would like to see them
implemented.

So, making a working, usable include file of a generic (bones only)
quadruped (not biped) walking/running animation would be a first step in
that direction. It will show you the various problems involved, and, if
successful and appreciated by other Povers (not just the "wow cool!"
reaction, I mean something actually used like Chris Colefax' macros are),
will constitute a basis for a larger project that would get developers
interested.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com