POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3ds to pov to obj : Re: 3ds to pov to obj Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3ds to pov to obj
From: Tom Melly
Date: 1 Oct 2001 11:06:36
Message: <3bb8867c$1@news.povray.org>
"MR" <a### [at] bnet> wrote in message news:3bb87843$1@news.povray.org...
> ingo said:
>
> hmm... so maybe we're not talking digital archaeology here
> but digital astronomy instead...  a big dark hole that sucks
> in any format that comes near it, emitting nothing but the
> mysterious and puzzling mind-rendering pov rays.   ;-)

The problem, as I understand it, is that POV scene-files do not (generally) just
list a series of primitives with simple csg. Most pov files contain macros and
other constructs that would defeat any rational process of conversion.
Converting such a scene would essentially require rendering the scene and then
applying some form of tesselation to the scene-objects. Not really practicle.

Most modelling packages output meshes or similiar which are relatively trivial
to convert.