POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mesh2 Boning suggestion : Re: Mesh2 Boning suggestion Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:22:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh2 Boning suggestion
From: Rune
Date: 30 Sep 2001 15:16:54
Message: <3bb76fa6$1@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" wrote:
> Animating Poser characters can be already be done within
> Poser and the results can be exported to Povray. I did a
> test with a few hundred running horses some time ago.

How was this done? One mesh per frame? How long was the animation? And how
much disc space did it take?

Would it have been possible to make the horses run over a height field and
other such demanding interactions with the surroundings?

> You're right in saying that character animation is a
> weakness of POV-Ray, but I fail to see how a POV-Ray-only
> solution could be useful from a practical point of view
> (I mean for creating full animations, not just tests to
> prove a point).

With the feature I propose combined with the right macros, it would be
possible to animate characters using POV-Script, just like other things can
be animated in POV-Ray.

And yes, I *do* believe quality character animation can be done writing
numbers in a text editor. With the proper macros of course.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)