POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Highlight bug : Re: Highlight bug Server Time
26 Apr 2024 23:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Highlight bug
From: Rune
Date: 28 Sep 2001 18:35:37
Message: <3bb4fb39@news.povray.org>
"Bob H." wrote:
> Yes, I see it too.

Thanks for confirming it.

> If the box is using    <-1,-1,0>, <1,1,0.000001>
> instead then the highlighting vanishes.

Yes, as I understand it, the problem is that the normal pertubation makes
the "highlight ray" (in some ways similar to a reflected ray) go *through*
the surface when it should be confined to one side from where it came.

However, if the "highligt ray" is blocked by *another* surface, then it
really is blocked - as it should be.

A box of zero depth works as just a single surface. The effect can be seen
with any object, provided that no surfaces are blocking the "highlight ray".
For example you can also get the effect with a sphere if you place the
camera outside the sphere and the light_source inside the sphere.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)