POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Problem with TTF object, danish characters : Re: Problem with TTF object, danish characters Server Time
2 May 2024 02:52:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with TTF object, danish characters
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 23 Sep 2001 12:55:38
Message: <3bae140a@news.povray.org>
In article <3BADC84E.1AB6A6C0@post8.tele.dk> , Nils Olav Kilen
<nok### [at] post8teledk>  wrote:

> When using ASCII character mapping, the danish letters are not
> supported.

This is correct.

> When using UDF8 character mapping (with unicode formatting of the
> .pov-file, using notepad), the parser cannot parse the document
> successfully, rendering only garbage.

Are you sure the text output is really UTF8?  Does it work if you use the
raw character code with "\uXXXX" (where XXXX is the hexadecimal character
code) instead of encoding the characters in UTF8 directly?

> When using SYS character mapping (assuming support for Windows NT4
> mapping), Pov-Ray 3.5 crashes every time a render is initiated.

Of course it should not do that...

> Conclusion: Rendering danish characters (and a lot of other 'foreign'
> characters, for that matter) is not possible in Pov-Ray 3.5 at its
> present state, and the TTF capability of the program is virtually
> unusable to me if this feature persists to be unavailable.

It is working and has been tested.  Unfortunately there are so many
variations and formats of TTF fonts that only the operating system can
really know what to do with them.  Please don't jump to conclusions - this
is a *beta* version and the point is to find bugs (if this is one) so they
can be fixed!!!

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde