POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : POV 4 philosophy : POV 4 philosophy Server Time
8 Jul 2024 15:49:46 EDT (-0400)
  POV 4 philosophy
From: Joseph Sullivan
Date: 20 Sep 2001 14:40:27
Message: <3baa381b@news.povray.org>
OK, so this is the patched POV newsgroup.  But let me share my vision
anyway...

  The great thing about POV is that so many people can contribute to it's
making.  I do 3D professionaly, and I know that if there's some feature that
I want but POV doesn't support, I have the possibility of just making my own
patch.  Total control.

   An outgrowth of this outlook is an idea that I had for the POV 4 rewrite:
instead of hard-coding all the routines for the different objects (box,
mesh, whatever) why not instead give it the capability to work with
dynamically loaded plugins?   The final release would consist of core
packages, plus a set of standard plugins.  Basic geometric shapes would be
box.dll/box.o, sphere.dll/sphere.o, plane.dll/plane.o, and so on.  If
someone came out with a new object (nurbs, for example), they wouldn't have
to patch the entire POV code.  Just drop nurbs.dll into the appropriate
directory, and *bam* it's there.  This would be _so_ cool.  So _very_ cool.

Joseph

WilTech IT Services - www.wiltech.net - (541) 929-7637

"God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach
 out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one
of us. 'For in him we live and move and have our being.' "