POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : How to open 48bpp images with PC photoshop : Re: How to open 48bpp images with PC photoshop Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:03:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to open 48bpp images with PC photoshop
From: Mike Hough
Date: 19 Sep 2001 02:17:19
Message: <3ba8386f$1@news.povray.org>
> I'm currently looking for a suitable conversion utility that will
> convert 48 bpp POV images into either a PSD file, or an appropriate
> TIFF file.

I was rather hoping that POV 3.5 would support TIFF output myself.  Corel
Photopaint only supports TIFF, PSD files, and it's native format for writing
48-bit images  Most of the freeware file converters available for TIFF only
support a subset of the standard for reading and writing 8bpp images.  This
on top of the messed up PNG support in PS.

> Speaking of 16 bit-per-color image formats. I looked all through the
> Win-POV 3.1g docs for verification that POV-Ray can actually create
> proper 16 bit images in formats other than PNG. I  couldn't find a
> single reference that actually confirmed POV could write 16 bit PPM
> images, TGA images, or anything else other than PNG.

I don't think it did.  After having my first success using PPM output from
3.5, I tried rendering a file in a patched 3.1g version and it wouldn't load
properly using the same methods.