POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Requested fisheye behavior : Re: Requested fisheye behavior Server Time
31 May 2024 19:50:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Requested fisheye behavior
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 18 Sep 2001 22:13:30
Message: <3ba7ff4a@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote...
> The attached image shows how I think the fisheye camera should work. Right
> now it completely ignores the up and right vectors in the camera, but I
> think the up and right vector should be used to "stretch" the image, just
> like for the other camera types. I've compared the requested fisheye
> behavior to that of the perspective camera.

Does anybody have any comments about this?

An likely alternative would be to have the last two scenes:
    up y   right x*2
and
    up 0.5*y    right x
be equivilent.

That would better mimic the behavior of the perspective camera, where these
two cameras would be equivilent.  This provides better consistency across
camera types, though it does sacrifice some flexibility.

The desired effect (a zoomed-in view of the fisheye lens) could be achieved,
though, by using POV's partial-render capibilities.

Comments?

-Nathan