POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : PP focal blur Q : Re: PP focal blur Q Server Time
8 Jul 2024 16:08:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PP focal blur Q
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 18 Sep 2001 00:47:11
Message: <3ba6d1cf@news.povray.org>
"Patrick Dugan" <pat### [at] usnetcomcorpcom> wrote...
>  The docs seem
> to indicate "field_depth specifies the length of the focal range.  All
> objects within the range of (field_start) to (field_start+field_depth)
will
> be fully in focus. " to me means objects close to the camera would also
> become blurry when they are out of the range.  Testing shows this is not
> true.

It USED to work.  Really, it did!  I remember testing it.  It actually uses
two different algorithms (both ad-hoc, neither based in reality) for
camera->field_start and field_end->infinity.  I remember coding and testing
both algorithms, so I _know_ it used to work.  However, there have been many
"hands in the pot" of MegaPov and things have a tendancy to get broken.
Sorry.

> I have emailed Nathan Kopp about the second issue but I have not heard
back
> from him yet.  I assume he may be quite busy with povray 3.5 beta at this
> point.

Yes.  Lately I've been to busy to devote any time to MegaPov.  The
keep_data_file also USED to work (again, I remember testing it), but again
it probably got broken along the way somewhere and nobody noticed until now.

Anyway, hopefully whenever we get a 3.5 version of MegaPov, we'll get better
post-processing that uses less memory.  Currently, it loads the whole
stinkin' PP data file into memory before processing.  This is horribly
inefficient.  That is one of the many reasons why this feature is not in POV
3.5.  This is also why POV 3.5 was so long in coming -  many features were
much like PP in that they had sloppy or inefficient code.  It took a long
time to clean things up.

-Nathan