POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : post-3.5 patching? : Re: post-3.5 patching? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: post-3.5 patching?
From: Scott Hill
Date: 13 Sep 2001 09:27:11
Message: <3ba0b42f@news.povray.org>
"Mark Wagner" <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote in message
> Fabien Mosen wrote in message <3b9efbef@news.povray.org>...
> >There should maybe be a feature (set by default) to automatically adjust
> >the rendering area to the camera's aspect ratio.  I can't think of any
> >situation where it would be problematic.
>
> I see one possible problem with this: Suppose I'm rendering on a system
with
> square pixels, but the image will be displayed on a system with non-square
> pixels.  A specific example would be creating a Win98 splash screen.  That
> needs to be rendered at 320x400, at a 4:3 aspect ratio.

    Then you unset the 'automatically adjust resolution to fit desired
aspect ratio' option... ;-) Seriously, though, as you point out, there are
situations where this automatic adjustment could be annoying I think these
are far fewer than those situations in which the current settings are
annoying... I don't think Fabien was suggesting doing anything that would
make it impossible to render at non-matching scene and output aspect
ratios...

--
Scott Hill.
Software Engineer.

*Everything in this message/post is purely IMHO and no-one-else's*