POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : post-3.5 patching? : Re: post-3.5 patching? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:21:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: post-3.5 patching?
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 12 Sep 2001 02:08:47
Message: <3b9efbef@news.povray.org>

>     Agreed - a good example is abyss.pov in the 3.5 beta 1 distribution -
it
> doesn't even have associated .ini file and requires a 'non-standard'
aspect
> ratio - if it were possible to, at the very least, encode the output
> aspect-ratio into the .pov it would prevent the problem I discovered -
queue
> all the sample scenes and render them at 320x240 and abyss.pov comes out
all
> squished... IMO, this shouldn't happen...

There should maybe be a feature (set by default) to automatically adjust
the rendering area to the camera's aspect ratio.  I can't think of any
situation where it would be problematic.

By "rendering area", I mean that, if the camera ratio is 2:1, and the
rendering
resolution is set to 4:3, the resolution should remain intact, but you'll
get
black stripes on top and bottom, like when you watch a 16:9 movie on a 4:3
TV.

Fabien