POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : PP focal blur Q : Re: PP focal blur Q Server Time
8 Jul 2024 16:11:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PP focal blur Q
From: Andy Cocker
Date: 10 Sep 2001 18:51:03
Message: <3b9d43d7@news.povray.org>
"Patrick Dugan" <pat### [at] usnetcomcorpcom> wrote in message
> I didn't mean to steal your question.

;-)

>I feel it is not being addressed
> though.  I ran some experiments using small spheres on a checkered floor
> that vary in distance from the camera.  I made the focal blur very tight
and
> very blurry (extreme short range of focus.)  from the focal center out
(away
> from the camera) the blur hits hard and fast, towards the camera (despite
> being a good distance from the focal center) is all in focus.  The docs
seem
> to indicate "field_depth specifies the length of the focal range.  All
> objects within the range of (field_start) to (field_start+field_depth)
will
> be fully in focus. " to me means objects close to the camera would also
> become blurry when they are out of the range.  Testing shows this is not
> true.

I agree, according to the docs, there should be blur between the camera and
field_start-field_depth. But, like your experiments show, this doesn't
happen. It's a shame, 'cos post_process focal blur is really quick.

Still no joy on the 'error reading aborted data file' though. :-(

All the best,

Andy Cocker