POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurface and function pattern in v3.5 : Re: Isosurface and function pattern in v3.5 Server Time
26 Apr 2024 03:31:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface and function pattern in v3.5
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Sep 2001 12:10:39
Message: <3b979fff@news.povray.org>
In article <3b97602b@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   Isosurfaces are certainly a very handy feature.
>
>   Could you explain how they are raytraced? I have just very vague notions
> about it, but I don't know any details. It would be interesting to know the
> algorithm to raytrace isosurfaces.

I would like to add to this question:

Maybe there are any literature references on how the algorithm works?  Or
any other detailed description?  As I am the person guilty of making nearly
all the changes (in isosurfaces, Ron did the parametric stuff) without
perfectly understanding what is going on, it would be really nice to know
what exactly I was tweaking.

In particular I had been playing (with not much success) with automatic
max_gradient finding without evaluate and other similar tricks that would
make it easier and still be fast to render isosurfaces right the first
time...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde