POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PIII/Athlon and P4 optimized Binaries : Re: PIII/Athlon and P4 optimized Binaries Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIII/Athlon and P4 optimized Binaries
From: KalleK
Date: 4 Sep 2001 01:59:16
Message: <3b946db4@news.povray.org>
>   Check that your processor is really running at 1.4GHz and not
> at 900MHz.
> You can do this for example with the DirectX diagnostic tool.
> If you have it installed properly, it sould be found under
> Start/Settings/Control Panel/DirectX/DxDiag... It opens a
> dialog where, among other things, it tells your processor type
> and its clock speed.
> Check that it says "~1400MHz".
>
>   There's a problem with some bioses which detect wrongly the
> clock speed of the Athlon processor. If this is the case, you
> have to set the right speed by hand from bios.
>   I know this because it happened to me.

Well thank you, but it says:
AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNOW, ~1400MHz
:-/
The BIOS says 1400, too.
I'm down to  17sec, now - don't know why, but the msvc-compile
does 17~18sec now.
With the P3/Athlon optimized (from
http://students.washington.edu/sschmitt/pov/), I get 12 seconds,
but I thought Ken did not use this one with his Athlon 950, but
an official compile.

cukk