POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Major bug in SOR : Re: Major bug in SOR Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Major bug in SOR
From: Bob H
Date: 3 Sep 2001 01:45:54
Message: <3b931912$1@news.povray.org>
"Anders K." <and### [at] f2scom> wrote in message

> There appears to be a major bug in POV-Ray's SOR implementation. Here's
some
> example code.
>
> camera { location <10, 15, 15> look_at <0, 1, 0> angle 15 }
> light_source { <2, 15, 5> color rgb <1, 1, 1> }
> plane { +y, 0 pigment { rgb <1, 1, 1> } }
> sor { 4, <2, -1> <2, 0> <2, 2> <2, 3> pigment { checker } }
>
> If the camera is at <10, 10, 15> instead of <10, 15, 15>, the scene
renders
> fine (sorbug1.png, attached). But when the camera is at <10, 15, 15>, the
> SOR has a hole in it (sorbug2.png)! And the SOR is certainly not open,
since
> adding "open" to the SOR results in a totally different picture
> (sorbug3.png).

Hi Anders,

Well, I believe what you are experiencing there is that the first and last
points are only controls.  From the Doc:

"The first and last points are only used to determine the slopes of the
function at the start and end point. They do not actually lie on the curve.
The function used for the SOR object is similar to the splines used for the
lathe object."

I rendered your example and if the first and last are duplicated (putting
first before first and last after last, using 6 points) it closes the sor,
although looks a different size (or shape).

So I'd have to say this is not a bug, seen this before too.

Bob H.