POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Origins - the original creation message : Re: POV-Ray Origins - the original creation message Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Origins - the original creation message
From: Rune
Date: 28 Aug 2001 10:13:21
Message: <3b8ba701@news.povray.org>
"Tony[B]" wrote:
> Thank God they chose "POV-Ray"! :)

I must admit that however much I love POV-Ray I've never been fond of its
name.

A good name would mean that you could say it to someone else and then they'd
know how to spell it. But with POV-Ray there isn't even agreement on how
it's pronounced. Pee-oh-vee-ray sounds dumb and has to be pronounced a bit
slowly to be clear. Pov-ray sounds like a bit like power-ray and will lead
to confusion too.

Another problem is the "-". Even though it officially is a part of the
written name, it's not always used, which makes searches for POV-Ray (or
Povray ?) more difficult.

Thirdly you have to know the program in order to have a clue about what the
name actually means.

I don't think STAR would be a better name, but I think there ought to be
better alternatives.

But anyway, none of this really matters, because it's about ten years too
late to change...

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)