POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Origins - the original creation message : Re: POV-Ray Origins - the original creation message Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Origins - the original creation message
From: Bob H
Date: 28 Aug 2001 03:05:42
Message: <3b8b42c6@news.povray.org>
"extract" an e-mail from your Amiga?  You make it sound painful.  Thanks
from me.

I can understand why the name wasn't used or kept anyway, sounds very much
like a astronomy program name and many people that work with POV-Ray also
seem to have interests in many of the sciences.
Until I saw a POV magazine (people of vision), and realized POV also means
point of view, I thought the name fit very well since it isn't really a word
in itself.  Kind of a utterance.  Unswayed, I still don't associate those
other meanings when it comes to the program but it kind of fits those
definitions too.  Besides, Persistence of Vision is certainly a fine name.

Pretty incredible really that only a mere handful of people, like you, were
able to meet, collaborate, and grow a ray tracer into maturity as it has
done.

Bob H.