POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isn't it time for a new pov benchmark? : Re: Isn't it time for a new pov benchmark? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isn't it time for a new pov benchmark?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 26 Aug 2001 17:36:09
Message: <3b896bc9@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] fwicom> , ron### [at] povrayorg (Ron
Parker) wrote:

> But that would prevent people with real-world processors from participating
> at all.  I hate to think how long it would take this P200 to run the
> benchmark, for example, but even a Duron 650 would have a tough time of it,
> and that's a current processor.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't
> expect to break the gigahertz barrier for at least another year or two.

But skyvase.pov took hours to render too when it was first created ...

IMO, the longer it takes the better, up to a certain extend of course.  I
would say 48 or even more hours on a slow (i.e. P90 system) would still do
the job for most people.  One could for example let it render on a sunny
weekend without suffering from computer withdrawal while POV-Ray blocks the
system ;-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde