POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isn't it time for a new pov benchmark? : Re: Isn't it time for a new pov benchmark? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isn't it time for a new pov benchmark?
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 21 Aug 2001 02:40:45
Message: <3b82026d@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote in message <3b810636@news.povray.org>...

>: That's way too short.
>: It should take at least two hours on the 1.4GHz Athlon with enough
memory.

>  I think two hours is a bit overkill. Granted, 10 minutes may be too
short,
>but I think 2 hours is too much. I don't think people want to wait for
hours
>for this.
>  Or perhaps if 4 pov-files are used, the total time could be about 2
hours,
>which would mean a half-hour per file.

I'll repeat my earlier suggestion for a benchmark that will work equally
well on all systems: A benchmark image that spends almost all the time
actually rendering.  Fast systems should render at high resolutions, while
slow systems should render it at low resolutions.  The render time should
then be normalized to calculate how long that machine would have taken to
render the scene at some incredibly huge resolution (say, 40,000 x 30,000).

Examples:
A PII-400 renders at 640x480 in 652 seconds.  Since the area rendered is
1/3096.25 of the benchmark area, the time is multiplied by 3096.25 to get a
benchmark of 2,546,875, the estimated time to render the scene at
40000x30000.

A PIII-800 renders at 1024x768 in 750 seconds.  Since the area rendered is
1/1525.88 of the benchmark area, the time is multiplied by 1525.88 to get a
benchmark of 1,144,409.

A Beowulf cluster renders at 4000x3000 in 817 seconds.  Since the area is
1/100 of the benchmark area, the time is multiplied by 100 to get a
benchmark of 81,700.

--
Mark