POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : License Violation: 3D Render Studio 2000 : Re:USPTO tm for Wingear (2) -> License Violation: 3D Render Studio 2000 Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re:USPTO tm for Wingear (2) -> License Violation: 3D Render Studio 2000
From: pan
Date: 14 Aug 2001 16:23:47
Message: <3b7988d3$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <newsadmin@-despam-povray.org> wrote in message
news:3b793a30@news.povray.org...
> FWIW, I noticed that on the CD, it claims that '3d render studio 2000 and
> the Wingear logo are registered trade marks of WinGear Publishing'.
>
> To claim something is a registered trade mark when it is not is, I believe,
> an offense under US law, so I checked the USPTO site for a registration for
> the product name (no go) or anything else registered to a firm called
'WinGear'
> (no go). However, I am not 100% familiar with their search tool so don't take
> that as a statement that there is no such registration; just that I couldn't
> find one (or that all of their marks expired - hardly likely given the date
> of the CD).
>
> Note that getting a RTM is expensive (I think at least US$2000), and it
doesn't
> make a lot of sense for a CD that they sell for maybe US$4.50 ...

at www.uspto.gov there are two Wingear listings - one live and one dead.

The CD producers seem to be using someone else's tm.

LIVE: http://tess.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&state=f3ailu.3.1

Word Mark WINGEAR
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S:
  testing, measuring, inspecting, and evaluation software, namely,
  for testing, measuring, inspecting, and evaluation of gears,
  double-flank gear roll performance, measuring, inspecting and
  testing for anomalies or damage to gears and gear teeth,
  dimensions, radial run-out and gear tooth-to-tooth variations.
  FIRST USE: 19970715. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19970715
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 75194509
Filing Date November 7, 1996
Filed ITU FILED AS ITU
Published for Opposition April 21, 1998
Registration Number 2289213
Registration Date October 26, 1999
Owner (REGISTRANT)
   Mahr GmbH, Brauweg
   38 CORPORATION FED REP GERMANY
    D-37073 Gottingen FED REP GERMANY
Attorney of Record STEPHEN H FRISHAUF
Section 44 Indicator SECT44
Priority Date August 23, 1996
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

DEAD: http://tess.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&state=f3ailu.3.2

Word Mark WINGEAR
Goods and Services (EXPIRED) IC 007. US 023. G & S:
 WORM GEAR SPEED REDUCERS AND GEARMOTORS.
 FIRST USE: 19760901. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19760901
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 73105030
Filing Date November 1, 1976
Registration Number 1072541