POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New news interface (beta) : Re: New news interface (beta) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:23:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New news interface (beta)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 14 Aug 2001 12:18:36
Message: <3b794f5c@news.povray.org>
In article <3B781790.D3AB38BB@sycomore.fr> , Adrien Beau
<adr### [at] sycomorefr>  wrote:

> * The logo is cool.

These compliments go to Rune Johansen :-)

> * The listing of newsgroups could list the number of messages
>   in each group (in small print).

Sorry, this would slow down the display of the group list really a lot :-(

> * The dates in each newsgroup's thread listing would look
>   better with a fixed-width font.

Indeed, with a fixed-width font they would look more symmetric.
Unfortunately using a different font in the lists doesn't look good at all
and there is no way to force any font to be fixed width.

> * It would be great (but require some more work) to be able to
>   have a thread-tree display (the kind of which is used in
>   Netscape).

It was a design choice use the current fast (google.com) view style instead
of the much slower and harder to navigate thread (deja.com) style view.

> * The multi-group digest is insanely great.

Thanks!  Ken's idea and my code :-)

> * It is (or seems) fast. This is also great. Also note,
>   dear readers, that images don't have to be encoded to
>   survive mail/news transfer, and thus should take 25%
>   less time to transfer.

I hope so: The HTML is fairly small and simple.  It also really complies to
HTML 4.01 Transitional which should help modern browsers to render the pages
more quickly.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde