POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : 3.6? : Re: 3.6? Server Time
20 Jul 2024 20:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.6?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 12 Aug 2001 13:54:45
Message: <3b76c2e5@news.povray.org>
In article <3b76b2f3@news.povray.org> , "Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk>
wrote:

> Together with the POV-Ray raytracer engine would be a post-process engine.
> You control post-processing through a separate and very simple scripting
> language which you write in separate files with a different extension
> (.ppp?).

Exactly (this is along the lines I have been thinking).  There are numerous
benefits.  One would be that such an engine (or its framework, i.e. a simple
sample filter) could be distributed under a completely different license,
maybe real GPL or an even less restrictive license.  It would allow
everybody to write filters based on the output without having to deal with
the core code.  Those filters could be integrated into comfortable programs
and experimenting could be done realtime rather than the current and very
clumsy parse-render-postprocess method.  And, the POV-Team would not have to
integrate them immediately, etc, etc, etc...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde