POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : License Violation: 3D Render Studio 2000 : Re: License Violation: 3D Render Studio 2000 Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:24:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: License Violation: 3D Render Studio 2000
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 11 Aug 2001 16:40:02
Message: <3b759822@news.povray.org>
In article <3b758dfe$1@news.povray.org> , "Ed Brannin"
<bra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> This is obviously a license violation.  Ironically, the price at Overstock
> (with its "Best price guarantee") is the highest one I was able to find -
> most other sites list it for $10-15.

Thank you for pointing this out!

However, the POV-Team has been aware of this for some time.  Unfortunately
Wingear exploits all available license loopholes (distribution as part of a
software collection for a limited cost) and the company is nowhere to be
found.  As the license might allow such distribution legally (but
unintentionally) it would be hard to contact the distributors and ask them
to discontinue selling it based on this vague part of the license.  The
POV-Ray 3.5 license will include provisions that makes such distributions
clearly illegal.

    Thorsten

(speaking for myself only based on my memory of the discussion in the team,
not for the POV-Team!)