POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : HF height: bug report : Re: HF height: bug report Server Time
6 Oct 2024 16:15:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HF height: bug report
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Aug 2001 13:34:54
Message: <3b6ed53e@news.povray.org>
In article <3b6e92ae$1@news.povray.org> , "Vadim Sytnikov" <syt### [at] rucom>
wrote:

> While 'ab' may be translated into 0x00006261, or 0x00006162,
> or god knows what. The Standard does not define that.

And what is wrong with this???  Why would I even care about the integer
value?  Simple: In a properly written program, I do not (see below)!

> Somebody has pointed out that using multicharacter constants
> would be OK in enums... Not quite so.

Quite so.  It works very well and is widely used (examples: TIFF, TrueType
fonts, Mac OS, Windows, etc).  Please don't make a problem out of something
where there is _none_ and has never been in the past two decades except in
the minds of the writers of a certain compiler who seem to have been locked
in their ivory tower for too long ;-)

As I said:

>> doing a comparison like 'abcd' > 1234 it is at least very bad style (nearly
programming error).  [...]  after all comparing an enumeration value against
an integer constant is bad style. <<

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde