POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Arrays : Re: Arrays Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arrays
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 24 Jul 2001 18:41:08
Message: <3b5df984$1@news.povray.org>
"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] fwicom...
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:15:39 -0400, Bill DeWitt wrote:
> >
> >    I think I may have just noticed my problem with arrays. I am sure I
read
> >it once but I just noticed that the POV-Ray docs claim that arrays can
only
> >be as large as array[5][x]. Is this true?!
>
> I think you're misreading it.  The limitation involving the number 5 is
> that arrays can have no more than 5 dimensions, so array[9][4] is okay,
> but array[2][2][2][2][2][2] is not.

    See, that's what I thought the first time I read it (from what I thought
the word "dimension" meant), but their examples led me to think otherwise.

    "Declaring Arrays...
     Multi-dimensional arrays
     up to five dimensions may
     be declared. For example:

     #declare MyGrid = array[4][5]"

    Your explanation makes more sense... I was just boggled that the pov
team thought that 5 items were all you needed...

> >    IOW, if I have a list of planetary data for 9 planets, listing their
> >name, radius, mass and distance from sun, I have to rearrange it into a
list
> >of names, a list of masses, a list of radii and a list of distances? (I
am
> >doing this anyway to see if it solves my problems, but I am mad that for
all
> >this time I thought that I was just not understanding array
initialization
> >and reading)
>
> Note that once you fill in one value in an array, every other value in the
> array must be of the same type.  Name and mass might not be the same type.

    Yeah, I was already planning to separate them into two arrays for my
purposes. Thanks for the quick reply. I am trying to finish off my gravity
well isosurface in the short times between dinner and work...