POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : contained_by qiery : Re: contained_by qiery Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: contained_by qiery
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 23 Jul 2001 04:50:20
Message: <3b5be54c@news.povray.org>
In article <3b5b8127$1@news.povray.org> , "Dennis Milller"
<dhm### [at] mediaonenet> wrote:

> so even if it is simply defining the limits of the isosurface, which I
> understand, I wonder why you can't apply scale, rotate, or other
> transformations to the container.

It is just a limitation as people have pointed out before.  Historically
there were bugs when transforming isosurfaces (as I pointed out before).  As
Warp pointed out, those have been fixed and now this limitation is still
there.  MegaPOV simply contains a lot of code that is still in development.
It is the way it is until it is changed.

> The second question is why other shapes besides the box and sphere can't be
> used; does anyone know the history/reasoning behind that?

Simplicity of the language and isosurface implementation.  Internally an
isosurface is only calculated if a ray intersects its simple container.  For
everything else use CSG because complex intersections are the domain of CSG,
not isosurfaces.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde