POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Isosurface 'water' but it goes concave : Re: Isosurface 'water' but it goes concave Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:29:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface 'water' but it goes concave
From: Bob H
Date: 8 Jul 2001 01:18:44
Message: <3b47ed34@news.povray.org>
"John D. Gwinner" <jgw### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

>   The closest I have so far is an Isosurface, which looks good but when I
> animate it I get something odd: 'phase' identifier in the wrinkles (or waves
> or ripples) causes the surface to move *down* not across, so it causes a
> concavity.  I tried different combinations of functions, rotations, etc. and
> it doesn't seem to work.   An example - I replaced 'clock' in the phase with
> a .5 so you can see what it looks like.

Changed your script code around a little and got a nice little water surface showing
caustics on
the ground below the isosurface.

#version unofficial MegaPov 0.7;

#declare R=1.0;
#declare R1=R+0.01;
#declare Box = 1;

light_source {<50,200,50> colour rgb 1}

camera { location  <5*R, 5*R, -8*R> look_at <0, -1, 0> angle 20}

sky_sphere { pigment {
    gradient y
    color_map { [0.0 color blue 0.6] [1.0 color rgb 1] }
  }
}

plane {y,-1.5
        pigment {rgb 1}
        finish {diffuse .75}
}

#declare WaveDepth = .5;

#declare WrinklesFunc =
function {
    pigment {ripples phase clock
        color_map {[0 color rgb 0][1 color rgb 1]
        } sine_wave //frequency -1
      scale .5
    turbulence .1
    }
}
isosurface {
    function {
        y-(sqrt(sqr(x) + sqr(y) + sqr(z))// - 1
         - WrinklesFunc(x, y, z) * WaveDepth)/10
    }
   // threshold .1
   // eval
   // accuracy .001
    max_gradient 3
    contained_by{box <-R,-R,-R> <R, R, R>}

 material {
        texture {
    pigment {rgbf <.8, .9, 1, .75 >}
    finish {phong 0.5 phong_size 50
        // reflection .2
         }
        }
        interior {ior 1.3 caustics 1 fade_distance .1 fade_color <.6,.8,1>}
        }
}

I'm not savy enough to know why there is a overall concave surface, as seen when
wrinkles is used
instead of ripples.  Mystery to me, sorry I couldn't solve that.  However the surface
does move in
a way which you wanted I believe.
I animated it with that ripples pattern and it looked right enough to me.  Well, I
take that back,
looks like somethings wrong with the container bounds but I'm not sure.

Bob H.