POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Photon Slab Building Error : Re: Photon Slab Building Error Server Time
6 Oct 2024 11:31:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon Slab Building Error
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 26 Jun 2001 17:10:00
Message: <3b38fa28@news.povray.org>
In article <3b38f361$1@news.povray.org> , "Dennis Milller"
<dhm### [at] mediaonenet> wrote:

> I get this all the time, even with 1 GB system memory. I don't believe it
> has anything to do with your RAM, but is an internal limit in POV.

There is no such limit in any version of POV-Ray.  Any claim there is such
an limit other than that of the platform you are running on (which is the
per application memory limit, 2 or 4 GB on Windows) is false.  This is true
for any platform POV-Ray runs on, and no matter if it is an official or
unofficial version.

It is a fundamental technical fact that there cannot a different limit
except an application has been specifically designed this way.  Software is
_no_ magic, and there are no esoteric limits of this kind in POV-Ray.  All
limits that do exist, for example the 256 entry limit in blend maps, will
result in a proper error message, not some random problem.

   Thorsten Froehlich

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.