POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : photon questions : Re: photon questions Server Time
6 Oct 2024 10:55:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: photon questions
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 17 Jun 2001 13:04:18
Message: <3b2ce312$1@news.povray.org>
"JRG" <jrg### [at] hotmailcom> wrote...

> "Nathan Kopp" <nat### [at] koppcom> ha scritto nel messaggio
> >
> > If you turn off both reflection and refraction, POV will skip that light
> > source when shooting photons (since there'd be no point).
> >
> > -Nathan
>
> But if I have many light sources in the scene, should I increase the
count?

POV totally skips the light.  You don't have to try to compensate.  When you
use count, POV actually tries to estimate how many photons will be
generated.  POV then adjusts the overall photon spacing to try to produce
close to the count specified.  (The final count is usually at least on the
same order of magnitude as the requested count.)

-Nathan