POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Landscape generation : Re: Landscape generation Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Landscape generation
From: Tom Melly
Date: 5 Jun 2001 07:22:59
Message: <3b1cc113$1@news.povray.org>
"Nekar Xenos" <j-p### [at] citywalkcoza> wrote in message
> I've always wondered if there wasn't any way of generating a 'procedural
> heghtfield' and mapping it onto an object. Almost like a normal but using real
> height. But, AFAIK you can't map an isosurface to an object so I wouldn't be
> able to use that.

No, but for simple objects (spheres, etc), you can combine a iso "texture" with an
iso "shape".

> BTW can isosurfaces use info from procedural textures ie: making an isosurface
> with a crackle height/depth? If so, I gues I would more easily get into
> isosurfaces (UnfortunatelyI just don't have al that time to play around looking
> for a formula that looks nice - unless of course someone can give me the x,y,z
> formulas for all the procedural textures in Pov ;).

You can use any pattern as an isosurface. There's an image of mine in binaries.images
"friday apocalypse" 29/12/2000 that uses crackle for the desert floor. Check out
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/ and look for the section "pigments as
functions"

> I think trace and eval_pigment might be what I'm looking for, but I couldnt'
> really find any samples of how to use  them in this way in the documentation.

Dunno, never used eval_pigment myself.