POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Gravity Well simulation? : Re: Gravity Well simulation? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gravity Well simulation?
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 28 May 2001 10:47:20
Message: <3b1264f8$1@news.povray.org>
"Rick [Kitty5]" <ric### [at] kitty5com> wrote in message
> >     I want to make an animation that shows how planets look in one of
> those
> > diagrams that show the gravity well as a flat surface that is dented
where
> > the planets lay on it. I hope to make it look like spongy rubber instead
> of
> > a grid, maybe a mesh, but I can't imagine calculating all the points as
> the
> > pieces move...
>
> how about using a cloth sim (or patch) - i think it will do it

    I haven't been able to play with that yet. I followed the link to the
Windows version and it never loaded the page.

    I'm thinking Iso-Surface. Each planet should be a spot where the minus Y
is less and less for x and z. If done right you could load planets into a
macro that would write in how many planets and their masses...

    I am working on it, but my math is usually not up to such tasks...