POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Call for Mac programmers : Re: Call for Mac programmers Server Time
20 Jul 2024 21:29:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Call for Mac programmers
From: Chris Huff
Date: 23 May 2001 06:55:36
Message: <3b0b9726@news.povray.org>
Vahur Krouverk <vkr### [at] comtradeee> wrote:

> I personally don't have access to Mac and I have no experience in
> this platform, so is there someone with experience in programming
> and helpful enough to compile POVMan for Mac?

I suppose I qualify here...

> Couple of questions to start with:
> Shading language source code uses lex and yacc, is there according tools
> for Mac platform (I guess that at least gnu versions, flex and bison,
> should be available?)

I have seen versions of Flex and Bison for CodeWarrior (the main
environment for Mac development under the older OSes), but never used
them. I think they are fairly out of date...

The plain UNIX versions should work fine under OS X, though.

> Are there issues between different MacOS versions? I.e. should the
> compilation be made for specific OS version or could executable be run
> on any version? Unfortunately I don't know, which version person, who
> requested this, uses...

There are very few incompatability problems for pre-OS X ("Classic")
versions, unless you cover a wide range of versions. Some software
will still work on System 7.x...a Mac version would probably use the
official GUI or Yvo and Rene Smellenbergh's GUI, and support all OS
versions they support...unless an OS X version is wanted. In that
case, either the carbonized Smellenbergh interface or the new Cocoa
interface would be used.

A Mac OS X version could probably be compiled by just slightly
modifying the makefile for the UNIX version, a Classic version would
require learning how to use the CodeWarrior Flex and Bison plugins,
maybe coping with them being outdated, and setting up the project
manually, probably using the official version as a base.

--
Christopher James Huff - chr### [at] maccom
Home Page: http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/