POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Brick arch???? : Re: Brick arch???? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:21:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brick arch????
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 1 May 2001 08:38:39
Message: <3aeeae4f@news.povray.org>
Shawn <sha### [at] orthancabca> wrote:

> Can anyone point me towards creating a decent looking brick arch? I did
> try using a radial bump map and a high frequency. While it looked quite
> funky, it wasn't what I was looking for. Is there a way to take an
> existing texture and bend it?

If all you want to do is texture it, you can use the following function:

function { funct(sqrt(x*x+y*y), atan2(y,x), z) }

This bends a section of the xy plane around the origin. Funct can be any
pigment function you like. This would allow, for example, you to use a
gradient to create radial stripes, but also allows for stranger things.
Applied correctly, you should be able to create your arch.

Note that as the distance from the origin gets larger, the texture is going
to scale up.  This shouldn't be too much of a problem for what you're doing.

The other option is to create individual objects.  Using the same function
and a rounded cube iso (or any other iso for that matter), you can create
bricks that are curved.

Geoff