POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Large numbers? : Re: Large numbers? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Large numbers?
From: Scott Hill
Date: 12 Apr 2001 10:46:56
Message: <3ad5bfe0$1@news.povray.org>
"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] fwicom...
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:57:09 +0100, Scott Hill wrote:
> >    A systems floating point numbers may well be 64-bit, but POVs
aren't -
> >not under Windows, anyhow - take a look at the source - it uses nothing
but
> >32-bit floats, which according to the MSDN, gives 6-7 sig. digits and a
>
> I suspect you need to look at the source again.  Most important stuff is
> declared as DBL, which is a typedef for double.  On x86en, that's 64 bits.
> The only things I can think of that are floats are color components, which
> don't need 64 bits of resolution anyway.

    Well, as I don't have a copy of the source handy I'll have to take your
word for it. However, I'm sure when I looked at the source (to self : or was
it the MegaPOV source ?) everything used SNGL - I remember because I started
going through changing everything to DBL. My memory could be in error, but
if it is, I've got no idea what is I could be miss-remembering.

Odd.

--
Scott Hill
Software Engineer.