POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How do I generate random numbers : Re: How do I generate random numbers Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I generate random numbers
From: Reuben Pearse
Date: 5 Apr 2001 08:11:21
Message: <3acc60e9@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I asked the same question recently and this is the reply I got from Margus
Ramst which I found very useful:

First you have to declare a random number seed, like this:

#declare RandSeed = seed(N); file://N is a random integer of your choice

The you can call the rand() function, with the name of the seed identifier
as
the parameter, for examle like this:

#declare RandomValue=rand(RandSeed);

Each time you call rand(RandSeed) a different (pseudo)random value is
returned
from the stream initialized by RandSeed.
For creating random numbers of a given mean value and maximum deviation, you
can
try these macros (the first returns a float, the second depends on the first
and
returns a 3D vector):

file://Create random number of given mean and maximum deviation
file://M - mean value
file://D - maximum deviation
file://Seed - (declared) random number seed identifier
#macro rand_ext(M,D,Seed)
    (M+(rand(Seed)-.5)*2*D)
#end

file://Give a random vector of given mean and max deviation
file://M - mean (vector or float)
file://D - max deviation (vector or float)
file://Seed - (declared) random number seed identifier
#macro v_rand_ext(M,D,Seed)
    #local MV=M+<0,0,0>;
    #local DV=D+<0,0,0>;
    (<rand_ext(MV.x,DV.x,Seed),