POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity : Re: Radiosity Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity
From: Tom Melly
Date: 22 Mar 2001 07:54:51
Message: <3ab9f61b$1@news.povray.org>
news:3ab9f34b@news.povray.org...
> Nekar Xenos <vir### [at] iconcoza> wrote:
> : If I understand it correctly, the purpose of radiosity is to compensate
for
> : light scattered by rough surfaces. Normals, as I understand don't do
this
> : right without radiosity which is why you need to add radiosity.
>
> : Therefore if you were to use isosurfaces or heightfields to make rough
> : textures with a relatively low reflection level and a high maximum
iteration
> : level, you wouldn't need to add radiosity.

<snip>

>   I don't understand your talks about normals and isosurfaces in this
> context.

I do! (I think).

In the real world, radiosity is generated by any surface that isn't 100%
reflective. However, in Pov-world, this scattering of light is not normally
simulated. In other words, it doesn't matter how bumpy/diffuse/whatever you
make your surfaces - if you don't turn radiosity on, you won't get any
radiosity.

Of course, once you turn it on, then, yes, the shapes and materials of your
objects will affect the radiosity in your scene.

So, the lack of radiosity in standard scenes is nothing to do with lack of
appropriate objects, but is associated with the lack of appropriate
calculations.