POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Peer to Peer Povray : Re: Peer to Peer Povray Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Peer to Peer Povray
From: Laszlo Vecsey
Date: 20 Mar 2001 09:43:07
Message: <3ab76c7b@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapginrafr> wrote in message
> While I've no doubt about Povray being a good test case for this, the main
> problem is about the usefulness of it for end users - a least for those
who
> create stills. Scenes that render slowly (let's say below 10 pps - roughly
> an overnight render at 800*600) and that could benefit from it are often
> (but not always) ones that also use large amounts of memory and disc
space,
> which would make their distribution uneasy.

For scenes that are reasonable in terms of memory use, images, etc,
non-radiosity -- eliminating all the major issues - then the next thing to
have to develop a user interest would be to let the end users view the
renderings that their machines are computing.

This way when you return to your computer you can see something partially
rendered and link back to a centrally controlled website that has stats on
all the parts of the scene, the author, originating IP of the job, and so
on.

In this way a community could be built up primarily using this network for
final-output of high resolution images or some such.. or test renders at
high res that will be completed relatively quickly

In fact don't even link back to a website, but just have a little status
window available that shows the information, and perhaps a link back to that
users home page and email address if they choose to provide it :)

The user can optionally provide access to his 'rendering' directory so that
others can view the completed images, or past renderings. In this way you're
relatively detached from the web and there is no central repository as such