POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problems with glass unions : Re: Problems with glass unions Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:05:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems with glass unions
From: KalleK
Date: 6 Mar 2001 10:43:30
Message: <3aa505a2@news.povray.org>
Hi Jim!

> Thanks,  I figured out the merge thing right after I posted this,
but I
> wasn't aware of the max_trace_level.  You answered my question and
another.
> After I switched it to a merge, I discovered that on a Duron 800,
this would
> still probably take about 2 weeks to render, (about 25000 spheres
> differenced against a cylinder.)  I am experimenting with this now.
Hope to
> share the results :)

If there's a system behind the placement of your spheres, than I would
suggest to put them in some unions - maybe 1000 spheres per union. In
some cases this can speed things up.
The slowlyness is caused by the fact that povray has to test again
every single sphere - if it tests again 25 unions and then again 1000
spheres (if there's just one union hit by the ray) there're less tests
to do.
But maybe I'm wrong with the explanation - I don't have the sourcecode
in my mind - nevertheless I once had this speed problem and "solved"
it the way explained above.

cukk