POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : subdivision surfaces and patches : Re: subdivision surfaces and patches Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:06:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: subdivision surfaces and patches
From: Peter Cracknell
Date: 4 Mar 2001 17:44:09
Message: <3aa2c539@news.povray.org>
I've done a tiny bit of reading into them and from what I gather subdivision
is a function (to be applied on) of polygons.  In the software that supports
it a shape is made (and at the last minute) a subdivision is applied, where
everything is smoothed.  Depending on the settings a cube for example would
look like a sphere.  Its ideal for faces etc as you can create a low poly
mesh and subdivide at the end (which hugely increases the number of
polygons).

...Its not suitable directly for POV-Ray though someone could write a
macro/prog that could subdivide a mesh...

Peter Cracknell (.com)