POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A pigeon/dove or other birds models - anyone? : Re: A pigeon/dove or other birds models - anyone? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:07:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A pigeon/dove or other birds models - anyone?
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 2 Mar 2001 10:44:25
Message: <3a9fbfd9@news.povray.org>
Geoff Wedig schrieb in Nachricht <3a9f97a2@news.povray.org>...
>Little of both, actually.  The bird is a fairly small segment of my scene,
>so I didn't have to have hugely detailed textures.  First I seperated it
>into body segment, beak, and legs, so I could texture them separately (did
>this in sPatch).  The beak and legs could be textured pretty much uniformly
>in color.

Yes, I did the same. That should make it possible to vary the pose of the
bird a little bit, too.

>  The body was a bit harder, but I created a streaky texture back
>to front, then made a gradient on it from dark to light, with a slight
color
>change, in the up direction.  That gave me something that (very) roughly
>approximated a color shift from the belly to the back, with a color
>variation forming lines parallel to the feathers.  It didn't look *too* bad
>in close ups, though I'll admit it didn't look great, but for the small
size
>in the pic, it worked great.

I'm anxious to see that part. I'm trying to make a uv-imagemap at the
moment. It's not that hard to get the overall shape right, if it has not to
be photorealisitc (the sparrows will be only small in my scene, too) but as
I'm not good with mouse and pixels I'm struggling with the
feather-structure.
Perhaps I'll ask for more help if I don't succeed at all.

Marc-Hendrik