POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Cloth Sim problems : Cloth Sim problems Server Time
17 Jun 2024 09:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Cloth Sim problems
From: Andy Cocker
Date: 27 Feb 2001 08:41:30
Message: <3a9bae8a@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm posting this primarily to ask the advice of Jerome Berger, the author or
the Cloth Simulation prog, although I would welcome anyone elses input.

I have posted an anim ( ClothSimTest.mpg ) in p.b.a which illustrates the
problems I am having with Cloth Sim.

Firstly, here is my code:

//Start code

global_settings {
step 0.2
viscosity 0.1
}

cloth {
x_size 20
y_size 25
strenght 1
dist 2
hnoise 0.01
vnoise 0.01
elongation 0.0001
shear 2
damping 0.001
intersections true
position { 40.000000*x,10*z,40*y }
read_file "zammer.raw"
attach { 1,0,<40.000000,5,10> }
attach { 1,1,<40.000000,45,10> }
attach { 1,0.5,<40.000000,25,10> }
}

ground {
-30, 0.5
}

cylinder { <40.000000,0,-31>,<40.000000,0,10>,1,0.25}
cylinder { <40.000000,50,-31>,<40.000000,50,10>,1,0.25}

sphere { <20,25,-31>, 20, 0 }

//End code

I am initially running the simulation with -s1000, then with -s50 per frame.
I am using Pov to write a new .cl file each frame, which updates the vectors
I wish to animate. This method seems to work.

However, I the problems I have come across are:

1/  The cloth always seems to resemble a thin rubber membrane. What settings
should I use to model a heavy curtain?

2/  The cloth seems to 'vascilate' (correct word?).. to flutter far too
much.

3/  The main problem (especially in my anim) is the fact that, rather than
slide over the sphere, the cloth adheres to the surface of the sphere, and
then stretches. It seems to make no difference whether I set the friction
variable to 0 or 1.

4/  When I used translate in an anim (placing it last in the cloth
statement), the cloth moved about from frame to frame quite unpredictably.
Is translate supported within animation? I'm having problems also with the
way the position option works.. but this is more to do with my not really
understanding the syntax required.

Basically, I am unclear as to what the various options do. Maybe I am
expecting the prog to work in a way in which it was not designed for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Andy Cocker

listen to my music at:
www.mp3.com/lunarland

'I spilled spot remover on my dog. He's gone now. '
'I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time."
So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance. '

 - Steven Wright.