POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anyone having problems with 3.1g & Win 2000 : Re: Anyone having problems with 3.1g & Win 2000 Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:06:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anyone having problems with 3.1g & Win 2000
From: Chris Cason
Date: 25 Feb 2001 05:11:58
Message: <3a98da6e@news.povray.org>
> 3.1g used to work on my machine with 98 but under 2000 it bluescreens
> my machine when I render "larger" images.  It crashes the machine
> about half way through the rendering.

Does it still do this with preview turned off ?

I can tell you now that nothing that POV can do will make Windows 2000
crash in the absence of a bug in either W2K or one of the drivers you
have installed (e.g. video). This is because POV is a purely user-mode
(i.e. ring 3) application and is incapable, by itself, of doing anything
'bad' to the OS (unless, as mentioned above, it is triggering an OS bug).

I suspect that you will eventually find that the problem is in one of
your device drivers.

-- Chris