POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : A way to create surface normals in .obj?? : A way to create surface normals in .obj?? Server Time
17 Jun 2024 08:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  A way to create surface normals in .obj??
From: October
Date: 14 Feb 2001 21:53:07
Message: <3a8b4493@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I'm trying to refine some techniques using only free software to go from an
organic model to a finished render using uv texture mapping in Megapov.

Currently I am using the excellent Hamapatch software to model, UVmapper to
create texture map templates and OBJuvPOV to create the .pov and .inc files.
Unfortunately Hamapatch's .obj export function does *not* create surface
normals for texturing and I am having to use several other steps (including
"smooth" in Crossroads) that work but still lead to less than perfect
results.

What I need is either a free converter or a dedicated utility that can take
the data in a .obj file and create/calculate normal data for *all* vertices.

Does anyone have any good suggestions in these regards???

Thanks in advance,

Jon Hoskins