POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Suggestion: array functions : Re: Suggestion: array functions Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion: array functions
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 12 Feb 2001 12:45:11
Message: <3a882126@news.povray.org>
Peter Popov <pet### [at] vipbg> wrote:

> Arrays are a very useful addition to POV but there are some
> restrictions imposed by the current implementation. Therefore I
> suggest that a set of functions to operate with arrays be added to POV
> (well, to some unofficial version at the moment, since the feature
> list of 3.5 is locked):

> <list snipped>

> What do you people (esp. the program-oriented folk) think about these?
> Would they be useful? If so, would any kind soul care to patch them
> in? :))

This would be *heaven*.  I have been working with arrays a lot as of late,
and it would be really nice to be able to do these sorts of things.  For
example, I've been doing clipping algorithms (clipping a shape defined by 2d
points to some other shape defined by 2d points), and it'd be really nice to
be able to splice sections together, remove invalid points, etc.  To do this
now, it is necessary to first count how many points will be in the new
array, then contruct it, then transfer it to the old array.  Ugly code, and
slow too.

So, are you volunteering to add this? ;)

Geoff