POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : random numbers : Re: random numbers Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: random numbers
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 8 Feb 2001 08:02:45
Message: <3a8298f5@news.povray.org>
Tom Melly <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote:

> "Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
>>

>> Tom Melly wrote:
>> >

>> > Also, is the random number sequence a fixed sequence, with the seed just
>> > controlling the point at which you join the sequence.
>>
>> Yes.
>>

> This resolves all the other questions.

>> > If it is a fixed sequence, how long is it?
>>
>> I don't know.
>>

> Except this one.

Well, most random number sequences these days use the 1/sec > heat death
system.  Ie, if you got one number a second, then the sequence would take
longer than the heat death of the universe to repeat.  If Pov's isn't this
good, I can get them the code for the Mersenne Twister, which is some
obscene multiple of the heat death criteria, and is also really good
randomly.  And it's *fast*, which is also a big plus.  We use it for high
end simulation where I work, where time is critical.

Geoff