POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The philosophy of union and non-overriding of pigments : Re: The philosophy of union and non-overriding of pigments Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:14:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The philosophy of union and non-overriding of pigments
From: Tom Melly
Date: 7 Feb 2001 04:31:34
Message: <3a8115f6@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] inamecom> wrote in message
> "Greg M. Johnson" wrote:
> > Tom Melly wrote:
> >
> > > IMHO it would be better if the red pigment was applied to
> > > anything without a pigment statement, and the granite normal
> > > to anything without a normal statement.
> >
> > Is this a flaw in design (not really a bug)?
>
> Neither, really. It is caused by the fact that specifying a pigment,
normal
> or finish without the texture {} brackets around is only a shorthand. A
> whole texture is always generated, where default pigment, normal and
finish
> are used when none are specified.

Then I would argue that this is indeed a flaw in the design (if you think
the syntax would be more useful if it worked as I suggested).

It only takes a few mistakes to realise what's going on (pigment =
texture{pigment} etc.) - the point is that additional coding is required to
work with this system.