POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Website about viewing 3D images with polarizing filters : Re: Website about viewing 3D images with polarizing filters Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Website about viewing 3D images with polarizing filters
From: Harold Baize
Date: 31 Jan 2001 13:14:03
Message: <3a7855eb@news.povray.org>
Josh,

In the 1940's Polaroid corporation developed just such a single film
polarized stereoimage process. It was called Vectograph. They
planned to make 3D movies using the film, but the 1950's 3D movie
boom came and went too quickly and Polaroid made more money
with instant photography than they did from the source of their
name "Polaroid" filters for 3D viewing. Ironic that the company
that made 3D movie projection possible no longer does anything
3D but still use the name. Polaroid sold it's polarizing division to
3M about 2 years ago.

Today there is an expensive ink jet based print process that is
very similar to the Vectograph, it is called StereoJet.

http://www.sfimaging.com/Stereojet.html

Harolddd
(A long time stereoscopic image nut)