POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Physics - collision detection etc : Re: Physics - collision detection etc Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics - collision detection etc
From: Andy Cocker
Date: 28 Jan 2001 14:07:13
Message: <3a746de1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message

> I'd probably start out by computing a bunch of points on the surface and
> using the Inside test to figure out an approximate center of
> gravity...but I know virtually nothing about this kind of thing, so this
> is just guesswork.
>
> Maybe limit it to mesh objects, that way you could also simulate the way
> the surface is deformed by it's interactions with other objects. I don't
> think the deform patch would be sufficient for this...and handling only
> meshes should make it easier.

I'd be happy with solid-body dynamics so surface deformations wouldn't be an
issue. Maybe if it was just limited to the simpler POV primitives without
CSG initially.. even just spheres, or blobs would be great too for liquid
effects.

Andy Cocker

listen to my music at:
www.mp3.com/lunarland

'I spilled spot remover on my dog. He's gone now. '
'I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time."
So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance. '

 - Steven Wright.