POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Physics - collision detection etc : Physics - collision detection etc Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Physics - collision detection etc
From: Andy Cocker
Date: 25 Jan 2001 15:37:34
Message: <3a708e8e@news.povray.org>
Is anybody actively working on equipping POV with collision-detection, and
real-world physical behaviour to objects? I understand that Chris Colefax is
holding off on his work until POV 3.5 is released (am I correct on this?).

I am asking simply because I have long wished for the capability of
animating objects simply by defining their characteristics (mass, elasticity
etc), and letting POV do the rest, but there is no way that I could even
begin to code this myself. I honestly wouldn't know where to start.

I gather there are internal shortcomings regarding the detection of an
objects extremeties (am I correct on this also?), but can these be overcome?
How does other software (proprietary in house animation software in
particular) achieve this?

Apologies if you think this should have been posted in povray.advanced-users

--
Andy Cocker

listen to my music at:
www.mp3.com/lunarland

'I spilled spot remover on my dog. He's gone now. '
'I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time."
So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance. '

 - Steven Wright.